Suggested Internet Die Roll Error Handling Convention
Internet Die Rolls
Two I am aware of Internet Die Rolls, dice.com and Irony (April 2002: scratch that, Irony is no longer up). As a long time PBeMer and a PBeM GM, I have learned that dice.com has problems. Too many times dice.com will delay in sending the dr(s), or not even send them at all. So far I have yet to hear of the drs being sent to one gamer and not the other. When this happens, each time the cause was found to be an incorrect email address (such as having a (invisible to the naked eye) space at the end of the address. Irony has yet to 'malfunction', though I'm sure it will someday. When this happens:
- Too many drs, no problem, use the ones you need discarding the rest. Do not reroll.
- Not enough drs, no problem, use the ones you got and send for the rest.
- If not specified, Attacker dr(s) first, then Defenders
- No response from die roller: Best not to send for a second die roll. Wait about 24hrs, if the drs still haven't shown, the original sender will notify the original receiver to send for the drs. When the receiver is notified he is to roll because of missing drs, and the receiver has yet to receive those drs, the receiver will send, and at that instant the original senders drs will not be used, even if they come in.
- Multiple die roll requests: Use the drs the receiver got first.
- The yet to happen one gamer gets die rolls and the other doesn't and the email addresses were fine : Use those drs. Whoever got the drs forward them to the other gamer so he may inspect the email addresses, and if all is OK, use those drs.